Citizenship - General Information
ATTENTION: THE FIRST PHASE OF THE CITIZENSHIP PROCESS BASED ON ARTICLE 89 OF THE LAW, EXPIRED IN DECEMBER 2018. THE SECOND PHASE, WHICH IS THE REQUEST FOR RECOVERY, IS MADE PERSONALLY IN LUXEMBOURG AND IT MUST BE COMPLETED UNTIL DECEMBER 2022. AFTER THIS DATE, THE APPLICANT WHO DOESN’T GO TO LUXEMBOURG TO DELIVER THE DOCUMENTATION, WILL LOSE THE RIGHT TO BECOME A luxembourger CITIZEN EVEN being A DESCENDANT OF A LUXEMBOURGer CITIZEN. IF THE RECEIVED CERTIFICATE HAS THE SAYING: “est la descendante em ligne directe d’um aïeul qui possédait la nationalité luxembourgeoise em date du 1er javier 1900”, YOU ARE NOT YET A LUXEMBOURGER CITIZEN AND YOU MUST GO TO LUXEMBOURG TO REQUEST CITIZENSHIP RECOVERY UNTIL 31 DECEMBER 2022. SEE THE GUIDELINES ON PAGE CITIZENSHIP – DOCUMENTS TO SUBMIT – SECOND PHASE – PROCESS FOR RECOVERY.
- All Brazilian documents can be presented in the original form or in a certified copy.
- The identification documents must be notarized copies, and only the ID or Passport are accepted. Driver license is not accepted. It is not necessary to do a sworn translation for the ID or Passport.
- Validity of documents: Birth, Marriage, Death and Naturalization Negative Certificate: maximum issue date of 06 months; Criminal Background Certificate: issue date of a maximum of 03 months (it’s not necessary to present in the first phase); ID: issue date of a maximum of 9 years; Passport: due at least in 06 months. Proof of address: consumption bills only: gas, electricity, water, telephone, cell phone, cable tv, etc., with a date of issue of at most 04 months.
- The Birth, Marriage and Death Certificates must be in full content but do not need to be “postiled” at the notary offices.All certificates must be accompanied by a sworn translation in French, German or Luxembourgish, and with the translator’s notarized signature. IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO VALIDATE THIS SIGNATURE RECOGNITION BY “APOSTILATION” AT THE REGISTRY OFFICE OR BY “LEGALIZATION” AT THE CONSULATE
- Documents that were issued outside of Brazil and that are in French, or German, do not need a sworn translation. If it is in another language, you must provide a sworn translation.
- The originals of the Negative Naturalization Certificate and the Criminal Background Certificate (this requested only in the second stage) must be validated in the Notary by “apostille” before making the sworn translation.
- The documents of the Luxembourg immigrant, must be requested directly by email to the National Archives of Luxembourg: email@example.com. The contact language can be in English, French or German and all information you have about the immigrant must be provided: name, date of birth, place of birth, affiliation. The more information you have, the easier the search becomes;
- In procedures where a relative has already obtained citizenship, all documents in common of the line that who gave the offspring are not necessary to present. Just inform in the referral letter the name of the relative who has already submitted all documentation for the process to be linked. Your documentation must be presented from where the line of descent differs from the relative you have already presented.
- To enter the process, the applicant must be at least 18 years old and it is only possible by bloodline.
- The process for minors must be done together with either the father or mother, who has the descendants.
- Spouses are not entitled to citizenship, only children and grandchildren, as long as they are descendants in a direct line, “jus sanguinis”.
- The final analysis of the documents and the positive or negative acceptance of the request is made by Luxembourg, so as we do not have all the premises of the analysis, we cannot guarantee that the family process will have a positive result.