Apostille - Service provided by Brazilian Notary Offices
In 2016 Brazil became a signatory of the International Hague Agreement (Apostille) and the legalization procedure of sworn translations relative to notarization of the translator’s signature previously done only by the Consulate can now be “apostilled” with Brazilian Notary Offices.
- The Consulate does not validate original Brazilian documents. This validation is done exclusively by the notary offices through the “apostille”.
- Validation of the notarized translator’s signature can be done by the notary office by “apostille” OR the Consulate by “legalization”.
- Brazilian notary offices only “apostille” documents issued in Brazil which will be presented in Luxembourg.
- When the document is issued in Luxembourg to be valid here in Brazil, the legalization / apostille must be done by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Luxembourg. For information, please access www.gouvernement.lu
- Certificates (birth, marriage, divorce, death, etc.) must be updated within a maximum 180 days. It is possible to request a new copy of the certificates at the registry office if the date of issuance exceeds 180 days.
- Diplomas must be stamped by the MEC (Ministry of Education) certifying their veracity and also with the notarized signature of the person who signed it.
- Criminal Record Certificate, Diploma, Negative Naturalization Certificate, Certificate or Public Deed of Bachelor, must be “apostilled” by a notary office according to the Hague Convention.