Citizenship - Documents To Be Submitted - Option -1 Process
Even if the interested party’s grandmother or mother already has a Certificate of Nationality issued, or one of the parents already has the “declaration citizenship recovery” (received when the process was made for recovery in accordance with the extinct article 89), the interested in obtaining citizenship in this modality must first request a new issuance of a nationality certificate in the name of the descendant on which their process is based on. Only after receiving this Certificate of Citizenship, they can you go to Luxembourg to deliver the documents and apply for citizenship in the modality “by option-1” in accordance with article 23 of the current Citizenship Law. In this case, the process is done in 02 steps:
- The first step makes the request for the issue of the nationality certificate in the name of the woman’s descendant; and,
- The second step, after receiving the certificate of nationality issued on behalf of the grandmother or mother, the applicant must go to Luxembourg to deliver the documents and apply for citizenship “by option-1” mode.
The request for the issue of the nationality certificate can be made directly at the Ministry of Justice without passing it through the Consulate. For this option send the documentation listed below to:
Service de l’indigénat – Ministère de la Justice
L – 2934 Luxembourg
Grand-Duché de Luxembourg
If you wish, as a separate service, the Consulate can check the documentation before the applicant sends it to Luxembourg, or even do the entire process thru Consulate. For information on this service provision, send an email to: email@example.com
Due to the great demand for requests that will occur in 2022, to improve the service, the Bierger Center, the competent body that receives the documents, requests that, 03 months before the trip, all applicants send an email to them: firstname.lastname@example.org informing that will go to Luxembourg to complete the second stage for the citizenship recovery. Along with the message, a digital copy of all documents necessary for applying for Luxembourg nationality must be attached, including those regarding minor children, if applicable. On the text of the message must contain information about the address of residence, marital status, if married, the name of the spouse, and if you have minor children, the full name and date of birth of each one, as well as the expected date of arrival.
With this, it will be possible for the agency to make a prior analysis of the documents to check if everything is correct, thus avoiding a lost trip if any document is in disagreement or is missing and speeds up the registration of the request and the service on the day.
The message must contain only the documents of an applicant of legal age and minor children if applicable, that is, each applicant over 18 years of age must send a separate message attaching the documentation relating to their application. Communication can be made in French, German or English.
Second stage: Documents that must be presented in Luxembourg for the applicant to apply for citizenship in the "by option-1" mode
It is not necessary to bring the documents to the Consulate for any procedure. If you wish, as a separate service, it is possible for the Consulate to check the documents that will be presented. For information on this service provision, send an email to: email@example.com
Endereço em Luxemburgo para entrega dos documentos:
44, Place Guillaume
2 rue Notre-Dame,
Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Telefone para esclarecimento de dúvidas: (352) 4796-2200
There is no need to schedule time. However, if the applicant plans to go on the same day with a group of 03 or more applicants older than 18 years, it´s necessary to schedule time. Please see below the instructions.
Luxembourg address to deliver the documents:
44, Place Guillaume
2 rue Notre-Dame,
Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 8 am to 5 pm
Telephone for clarification of doubts: (352) 4796-220
Documents to be presented – Consider the list below for 01 applicant:
Documents related to people who passed on their descendants to the applicant:
- copy of the nationality certificate issued on behalf of the grandmother and / or mother;
- if you have, a simple copy of a Luxembourg document issued in the name of the grandmother, or the mother (valid ID or Passport). The one who you are basing yourself to ask for citizenship;
- birth and marriage certificate of the applicant’s father or mother, the one who has the descendants;
- notarized copy of a valid identification document of the applicant’s father or mother, the one who has the descendants: ID with issue date of at most 09 years, OR Passport with expiration date of at least 01 year from the date of delivery of the documentation in Luxembourg. This document does not need a sworn translation;
Documents related to the applicant who will apply for citizenship:
- birth and marriage certificate, if applicable;
- Notarized copy of the valid Brazilian passport. Translation is not necessary;
- Atestado de Antecedentes criminais da Polícia Federal, com data de emissão de no máximo 90 dias. A certidão original emitida pela internet precisa ser validada no cartório por “apostilamento”. O site para obter este atestado é:
- http://www.pf.gov.br/servicos-pf/antecedentes-criminais . Precisa estar acompanhado da tradução juramentada no idioma francês, ou alemão;
- Federal Police Criminal Background Certificate, with a date of issue of no more than 90 days. The original certificate issued thru website needs to be validated at the registry office by “apostille”.” The website for obtaining this certificate is: http://www.pf.gov.br/servicos-pf/antecedentes-criminais. It must be accompanied by a sworn translation into French, or German;
- if you have minor children, you must also present the original birth certificate for each minor child accompanied by a sworn translation into French or German;
- notarized copy of an identification document, ID or Passport of each minor child. You do not need to do a sworn translation for this document. (*)
- Notice biographique: to speed up the service, this form must be completed beforehand;
- Casier Judiciaire: Criminal record form issued by Luxembourg. This form must be completed beforehand; (**)
- If the applicant has lived in another country and / or has nationality in another country outside of Brazil, it will also be necessary to present a Criminal Background Certificate from the country where he / she lived and / or has nationality. Luxembourg does not establish a minimum residence time, but requires the presentation of a certificate considering the last 15 years counting from the date that the applicant turned 18 years old. For European countries registered at ECRIS (European Criminal Records Information Systems), there is the possibility of issuing this certificate made by that agency and it’ll be accepted. For information see the website: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/cross-border-cases/judicial-cooperation/tools-judicial-cooperation/european-criminal-records-information-system-ecris_en
If the document is not in French or German, it will also be necessary to have a sworn translation into one of these languages.
(*) Minor children do not need to be present. Just present the documentation for them. If the children are over 18 years old they will also have to go to Luxembourg to do their process. It is not possible to include them in your process without their presence. And they must present all the documents listed above.
(**) Regarding the “casier judiciaire” form, if the applicant plans to go on the same day with a group of 03 or more applicants older than 18 years in order to facilitate and speed up the process, they ask this certificate to be requested 15 days before their arrival in Luxembourg.
For this, the applicants must send an email to the Bierger Center firstname.lastname@example.org informing the date they’ll deliver the documentation, the names of all group’s applicants, their respective addresses, and attach the following documents:
– completed and signed “autorisation-casier-judiciaire” form;
– copy of passport