Citizenship - Documents to be submitted - Second Phase - Process for Recovery - art. 89
The recovery request must be made personally in Luxembourg until December 2022 for each applicant older than 18 years. After this period, for the applicant who received the Certificate of Ancestrality (Descendancy) and did not complete the second stage of the process, will no longer be possible to become a citizen, even being a descendant of a Luxembourger citizen.
- This procedure is done only in Luxembourg.
- The process is individual. It is not possible for an applicant to apply on behalf of other applicants over the age of 18.
- Due to the great demand for requests that will occur in 2022, to improve the service, the Bierger Center, the competent body that receives the documents, requests that, 03 months before the trip, all applicants send an email to them: firstname.lastname@example.org informing that will go to Luxembourg to complete the second stage for the citizenship recovery. Along with the message, a digital copy of all documents necessary for applying for Luxembourg nationality must be attached, including those regarding minor children, if applicable. On the text of the message must contain information about the address of residence, marital status, if married, the name of the spouse, and if you have minor children, the full name and date of birth of each one, as well as the expected date of arrival.
With this, it will be possible for the agency to make a prior analysis of the documents to check if everything is correct, thus avoiding a lost trip if any document is in disagreement or is missing and speeds up the registration of the request and the service on the day.
The message must contain only the documents of an applicant of legal age and minor children if applicable, that is, each applicant over 18 years of age must send a separate message attaching the documentation relating to their application. Communication can be made in French, German or English.
Luxembourg address to deliver the documents:
44, Place Guillaume
2 rue Notre-Dame,
Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 8 am to 5 pm
You don’t need to schedule an appointment. However, if you are in a group of 03 or more people, it’ll be necessary to make an appointment.
See instructions below
Telephone for clarification of doubts: (352) 4796-2200
- The Birth Certificates and Criminal Background Certificate must be accompanied by a sworn translation into French, German or Luxembourgish, and it must have the translator’s signature recognized. IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO VALIDATE THE TRANSLATOR’S FIRM RECOGNITION BY “APOSTILLE” IN THE NOTARY OR BY “LEGALIZATION” IN THE CONSULATE.
- Minor children do not need to be present. Just submit the documents listed below
Documents issued by Luxembourg
- Original of the Ancestry / Descent Certificate issued by the “Ministère de la Justice” of Luxembourg, received at the conclusion of the first phase;
- Certificate of International Criminal Background: “autorisation-casier judiciere”.
IF THE APPLICANT PLANS TO GO ON THE SAME DAY WITH A GROUP OF 03 OR MORE PEOPLE OLDER THAN 18 YEARS IT WILL BE NECESSARY TO ADVISE BY E-MAIL AT LEAST 15 DAYS BEFORE SO THEY CAN PREPARE THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION IN ADVANCE, AND THE SERVICE WILL BE FASTER.
FOR THESE CASES IT IS POSSIBLE TO EVEN SCHEDULE TIME TO FACILITATE SERVICE. ON THE TEXT MUST BE INFORMED THE FULL RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS OF EACH APPLICANT OF THE GROUP AND THE FOLLOWING DIGITAL FILES MUST ATTACHED:
- Completed and signed “casier-judiciaire” form;
- Copy of passport;
- Birth certificate and it´s sworn translation
Tel: +352 4796 2201
Postal address: Ville de Luxembourg
L – 2090 Luxembourg
Other recommendations and information:
- When you arrive, inform that you want to subscribe to the “demande de recouvrement de la nationalité” before the “officier de l’état civil”.
- There is no language fluency test, but the dialogue takes place in French, Luxembourgish or German and the service lasts about 20 minutes.
- There will be a charge for a sealing fee paid in cash (it is recommended to bring around 50 euros exchanged).
- The Officier prepares a nationality recovery application which must be signed by the applicant and delivers a protocol named “Déclaration de Recouvrement”;
- After the delivery of documents, Luxembourg finalizes the applicant’s registration in the National Registry. When the registration is completed, the National Registry sends by mail the form named “extrait du Registre National” with the data registered to be checked. If any data is wrong you need to make the correction on the side and send this form by email to them: Registre.National@ctie.etat.lu asking to correct what is wrong. . The respective document proving the correction must be sent together and if it is a birth certificate, marriage certificate and / or proof of address, you must also send the sworn translation. If everything is right, you don’t need to do anything. In the upper corner there is the registration number in Luxembourg of the future citizen and if at any time it is requested, the applicant must inform it. But this is not the final and valid official document (certificate) that proves the nationality and recovery of Luxembourg citizenship.
- The analysis of the documentation for granting or not the application takes an average of six months.
- If it is positive, the applicant receives a letter from the “Ministère de la Justice”, accompanied by the same protocol delivered on the day of the request “Déclaration de Recouvrement“ with the information of the date that citizenship recovery was issued. This information will appear in the field “Mentions Ultérieures”: “Recouvrement qui a sorti ses effets le ….(data)”.